Aminohippurate sodium (By injection)
Aminohippurate Sodium (a-mee-noe-HIP-ue-rate SOE-dee-um)
Used as part of a test of kidney function.
Brand Name(s):There may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used:This medicine is not right for everyone. Do not receive it if you had an allergic reaction to aminohippurate.
How to Use This Medicine:
- Your doctor will prescribe your dose and schedule. This medicine is given through a needle placed in a vein.
- A nurse or other health provider will give you this medicine.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid:
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- Some medicines can affect how aminohippurate works. Tell your doctor if you are taking any of the following:
- A numbing medicine, such as procaine
Warnings While Using This Medicine:
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or breastfeeding, or if you have heart disease or heart failure.
- Tell your doctor if you have a latex allergy before you receive this medicine. You may have an allergic reaction from the dry natural rubber in the vial stopper.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine:
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing
- Nausea, vomiting, or muscle cramps
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Mild nausea
- Rash or itching skin
- Warmth or redness in your face, neck, arms, or upper chest
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
Last Updated: 6/18/2019