Mannitol (Wash or rinse)
Used as cleansing or rinsing fluid during prostate surgery or other surgical procedures.
Brand Name(s):There may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used:You should not use this medicine if you have had an allergic reaction to mannitol, or if you have problem urinating.
How to Use This Medicine:
- A nurse or other trained health professional will give you this medicine.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid:
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
Warnings While Using This Medicine:
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are pregnant or breastfeeding, or if you have heart disease, lung disease, kidney disease, or mineral imbalance such as decreased sodium in the blood.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine:
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing
- Change in how much or how often you urinate.
- Chest pain.
- Confusion, weakness, and muscle twitching.
- Dry mouth, increased thirst, muscle cramps, nausea, or vomiting.
- Fast heartbeat.
- Lightheadedness, dizziness, or fainting.
- Pain in your lower leg (calf).
- Seizures or chills.
- Swelling in your hands, ankles, or feet.
- Trouble breathing.
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Blurred vision.
- Runny or stuffy nose.
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
Last Updated: 10/10/2019